Tips to get out of the “Kapha Overload”
During the cold winter, our need for heavy food increases, which means that more Kapha accumulates in the body (“winter fat” and sluggishness). If the accumulated Kapha is not reduced again, metabolic waste products (Ama) can arise, which express themselves as spring fatigue and lethargy.
According to Ayurveda, the beginning of spring is the best time to reduce Kapha so that you can enjoy the new season full of lightness and energy. Ayurveda has very specific recommendations for the daily routine:
- Morning routine: Feeling sluggish in the morning recently? Then you should set your alarm clock well before 6 a.m. (Vata time) in the springtime. It will take a few days to get used to it, but then you will start the day with more ease and freshness.
- After tongue scraping and oil pulling, we recommend the slightly spicy Ayurdent toothpaste and a few drops of Shadvindu Nasya oil in your nose to clear your head.
- First thing in the morning, drink a glass of lukewarm water with the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of raw honey. Drink a pot of ginger water during the morning and in the afternoon boiled hot water.
- Before showering or bathing in the morning, a self-massage with Garshan gloves or a special Kapha oil is recommended to get the circulation going.
- Ayurveda now recommends diets that reduce Kapha. The best are hot, bitter, tart and easily digestible foods. Right now, eat more warming and cooked foods and cut down on dairy products. Spice up your dishes a little more in the springtime, for example with our Kapha Churna from our shop.
- How about a few days a week of boosting your digestion (2-3 weeks) with a soup in the evening or a weekly liquid day?
- Integrate more exercise into your everyday life. Regardless of whether you start the morning with a few rounds of sun salutations, plan a walk after breakfast, dance to the Kapha Spotify playlist in between your daily activities, or generally prefer to take the stairs instead of the elevator – regular light exercise frees your body both physically and mentally.