Follow these six tips to help protect and nourish your skin during the hotter months.
- Cleansing: Start your skin care with a thorough cleansing. Ayurveda recommends the use of natural cleansers such as rose water or aloe vera. These gently cleanse the skin without drying or irritating it.
- Moisturise: Adequate moisturising is especially important in summer. Use light, non-greasy moisturisers or natural oils such as coconut oil or almond oil to keep your skin hydrated, and protected from drying out.
- Sun protection: Protection from harmful UV rays is essential for keeping your skin healthy. Use an organic sunscreen with a high SPF and wear a hat or light, protective clothing if needed.
- Diet: A healthy diet plays an important role for beautiful skin. Choose foods that are rich in nutrients and antioxidants, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, to protect the skin from within. Ayurveda also recommends taking herbal-based supplements such as Amla (Indian gooseberry) or turmeric to promote skin health. Ayurvedic nutritional supplements are available in our shop >>
- Detox: Ayurveda emphasises deep, internal cleansing of the body to maintain healthy skin. Drink enough water to flush out metabolic residues (Ama) and indulge in regular rituals such as oil pulling or, if possible, an Ayurvedic cleansing treatment (Panchakarma) once a year to detox the body from within.
- Stress reduction: Stress can have a negative effect on the skin. Practice relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation or breathing exercises to reduce stress, and improve skin health.